central sign-on for Red Hat?

GaryCarr gcarr at lanl.gov
Thu Aug 16 19:55:32 UTC 2007

NIS+ is a Sun product, that Sun does not recommend any more. I've used
it for a number of years on Solaris. It was a very secure system which
scaled up to very large distributed networks well. NIS+ on Linux only
supports the client side, and I don't think anyone actively supports the
code any more. The web page is http://www.linux-nis.org/nisplus/.

I would say use NIS for a relatively small network behind a good
firewall. For anything else go with LDAP.