$PATH question

Johan Booysen johan at matrix-data.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 19:48:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've set up persistent VNC sessions for some of our developers on a
RHEL3 server.  They now tell me that when they access their VNC
sessions, then /usr/local/bin does not appear in their path.  A bit of
testing seems to indicate that manually killing the VNC session and
creating a new one "updates" the path to include /usr/local/bin.

Does anyone know where /usr/local/bin actually gets added to $PATH in
the first place?  We set some environment variables via scripts in
/etc/profile.d, but I can't seem to find where /usr/local/bin gets added
to the path.

Probably a silly question and/or me having a daft moment here...

Thanks.

Johan