How to permanently set a network interface to promiscuous mode?

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Wed Aug 1 07:42:43 UTC 2007

Hi,

We need to configure a network interface on one of our machines so that
it always gets set to promiscuous mode.

So far I have manually issued "ifconfig eth1 promisc" but I wouldn't
like to do this every time the interface has been brought down and up
again.  According to /usr/share/doc/initscripts-7.93.25.EL/sysconfig.txt
there used to be a "PROMISC=yes" option that could be used in the
"/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1" file but apparantely this
option is deprecated and the file reads "To properly set these, use the
packet socket interface."

So far I haven't been able to find any documentation on this packet
socket interface.  How can I configure this netwxork interface to always
come up in promiscuous mode?

Thanks in advance.

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING  310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB